So today, we did something certifiably insane to promote the imminent release of ZERO-G.
We strapped a copy of the book to a weather balloon, along with a GoPro camera and an iPod/speaker combo loaded with an audio file of me reading the first two chapters, and sent it into the stratosphere. That’s it, up there.
This caper deserves a much longer post, and we have LOADS of great footage, and both are coming, but I’ve been up since 3am and I’m so tired my hallucinations have hallucinations. Here are a few brief highlights of what went down:
- We launched the balloon from Ross-On-Wye in rural Gloucestershire, which was westerly enough for the winds not to blow our balloon out to sea.
- Filling a balloon when it is cold and wet and dark and windy is hard.
- The balloon shot up like a bloody rocket, climbing 7m per second.
- At around 32,000m (we think), the balloon popped from the pressure. This dislodged the book from its moorings and sent it winging away into the upper atmosphere. We don’t know what happened to it. Someone, somewhere in the UK had a very special book land on their head.
- You can actually hear an author reading his book out loud at 32,000m.
- The camera died on the way down, after the parachute deployed. We don’t know why. It got all the important stuff though, save the landing. The SD card survived with all our footage.
- The payload landed in a very muddy field in Gloucestershire. Thank gods for satellite tracking.
Big, big thank you to my co-conspirators Anna Jackson (editor) and Nicole Simpson Boffard (wife). Also to everyone at Orbit Books, who signed off on this lunacy.
Going to bed now. More later. Kthxbai.
PreOrder ZERO-G now!
Riley Hale may be the newest member of Outer Earth’s law enforcement team, but she feels less in control than ever. A twisted doctor bent on revenge is blackmail ing her with a deadly threat. If Riley’s to survive, she must follow his orders, and break a dangerous prisoner out of jail.
But this isn’t just any prisoner – it’s the psychotic former council member who nearly brought the space station to its knees. To save her own skin, Riley must go against all her beliefs, and break every law that she’s just sworn to protect.
Riley’s mission will get even tougher when all sectors are thrown into lock-down. A lethal virus has begun to spread through Outer Earth, and it seems little can stop it. If Riley doesn’t live long enough to help to find a cure, then the last members of the human race will perish along with her.